Welcome to the CNC Maker Zone Forum. We are a community for both the CNC Professional and Novice. Why wait another moment? Register today, and get started! Best of all, it's FREE!!!

1. If you have the skills to write topical articles for money let us know. If you want to help moderate the site let us know.

Shitty bench grinder wheel...almost had a bad day.

Discussion in 'Metalwork Projects' started by Hephaestus, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Hephaestus

Hephaestus Administrator

Blog Posts:
    Mount Etna
    My father picked up a new stone at Home Depot, put on bench grinder, and fired up, no problem. Went to go use the grinder again to sharpen soap stone, and fucking thing exploded. My father was on the other disk, but had he had been in front of the one that let go, could have been seriously hurt. The only saving grace for both of us, is that the disintegrating wheel jammed against the drill bit sharpener pad, and jammed. Slightly cracked the housing of the grinder, but it still works. He's pissed, Home Depot will be getting an ear full tomorrow... hahahaha

Funny thing is it was made in India. Does no one make a quality product anymore? Grinder rated at 3200 rpms and stone wheel rated at 4500... me thinks it was defective or had a crack not visible. Should have tapped the stone with a piece of steel to see what sound it made, but didn't think of doing it...

2. Engineer_Machinist

Engineer_Machinist Moderator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    SE WA
    Always ring a wheel before mounting it will let ou know if there is an imperfection. Best to buy a Norton or CGW i.e. name brand. I think most of the marts sell cheap import wheels. Welding supply store would probably be a good place to look.

3. Hephaestus

Hephaestus Administrator

Blog Posts:
    Mount Etna
    Yep, should have checked the sound it made. Since it was on a Sunday, no "commercial" welding, etc. supply stores open...