Welcome to the CNC Maker Zone Forum. We are a community for both the CNC Professional and Novice. Why wait another moment? Register today, and get started! Best of all, it's FREE!!!

1. If you have the skills to write topical articles for money let us know. If you want to help moderate the site let us know.

Flood coolant or Mist coolant?

Discussion in 'General Milling' started by 3dprintforums, Jan 19, 2016.

1. 3dprintforums

3dprintforums Apprentice

Blog Posts:
    New Jersey
    What is the preferred cooling method for a mill and lathe using Flood coolant or Mist coolant?

2. Dave Sohlstrom

Dave Sohlstrom Newbie

Blog Posts:
    Ariel, WA
    I have a fog buster single nozzle that I can move from machine to machine. You can adjust it so if you are using it on the lathe it does not through coolant all over the place. On the mills it keep things cool and blows the chips out of the cut. Again it does not through coolant all over the place.

I can build a flood system for my Tormach 770 CNC mill but I would also need to build an enclosure to contain the coolant.

a lot of your choice in coolant system if what you plan on cutting. Also mist coolant systems that rely on a venture to lift the coolant from the tank have a tendency to produce a fog of mist in the shop. The Fog Buster system uses a pressurized tank and double hose system so it does not make a mist that fills the shop.

Hope this helps

Dave
    Ariel, WA

3. 3dprintforums

3dprintforums Apprentice

Blog Posts:
    New Jersey
  4. Engineer_Machinist

Engineer_Machinist Moderator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    SE WA
    I've been around machines using both Fogbuster and flood. The Fogbuster does a great job with most operations except deep drilling when at normal feeds flood seems to have the edge. They both work well. I think you can use less of a chip guard with a Fogbuster the operating air pressure is relatively low and does not require a large air compressor to operate.